New membership audition for the 2018/19 Season is currently being held by appointment. Call (847) 312-3690 or email@example.com to schedule your audition.
The candidates should prepare the followings:
[Winds and Brass] All 12 major scales- 2 octaves. Also, chromatic scale, full range of instrument.
[Strings] Scales in three (or two) octaves for both ascending and descending in the key of C, G, D, A, E, F, B-flat, E-flat, A-flat majors and e, g, c melodic minors. You can choose one for major and one for minor at the audition. Please play 80 to 120 per quarter note with separate bows.
[Winds and Brass] Two contrasting solos, movements or etudes. No accompaniment needed.
[Strings] A solo piece that shows the candidate’s techniques, musical interpretation and musicianship. No accompaniment needed. Please see chart below:
- Midwest String Orchestra (For all strings): A solo piece or passage that includes up to 3rd (or 5th) position.
- Midwest Philharmonic Orchestra (For all strings): A solo piece or passage that includes up to 5th (or higher) position.
- Core Members:
- Violin: W.A. Mozart Concerto No. 4 or 5, or something equivalent
- Viola: C. Stamitz Concerto in D, or something equivalent
- Cello: Haydn Concerto in C or D, or something equivalent
- Bass: A standard concert piece
[All instruments] Sight-reading may be asked.
Participants must receive the music director’s permission to join after the audition. All ages are welcome.
Please fill out the Application for Membership completely and submit it when you come to the audition. To schedule an audition, please contact our Personnel Manager.
Students from Outside the Midwest Conservatory of Music:
Students, who are currently studying at other schools/teachers, are also welcome to join the Midwest Philharmonic Orchestra. For audition, please refer to “Audition and Membership” section above.
As of May 2018, 20% of the members of the ensemble are studying their own instruments privately at different schools. The MPO is open to everyone in the community.